Helpless Man Dies After Police Handcuffs & Pins Him To The Ground For 5 Minutes In A Shocking Footage!

Helpless Man Dies After Police Handcuffs & Pins Him To The Ground For 5 Minutes In A Shocking Footage!

"They had their weight on his head and his back."

Cases of police brutality have been widely shared and talked about, especially after the death of George Floyd. Though the death steered up an uprising, police brutality still continues to take the lives of people. 

According to People, a California man passed away after police pinned him to the ground during an arrest. The body cam video released on  April 27, 2021, captured the arrest of 26-year-old Mario Gonzalez that took place on April 19, 2021 at around 10:45 am. Gonzalez was arrested after the cops were informed of the man loitering around a small park area and removing security tags off alcohol bottles, as per New York Times


A press released by the police after the death of the man corroborated "there was a scuffle as officers attempted to place his hands behind his back." Meanwhile, the cops claimed that no weapons were used by them during the arrest.

The released footage shows the officers conversing with Gonzalez before attempting to handcuff him with his hands behind his back. Moments after the tussle, the man fell to the ground. It was reported that the man was handcuffed and pinned to the ground for about 5 minutes before becoming unresponsive. 


Though the officers tried to revive him, their attempts were in vain. Consequently, he was taken to a hospital. Unfortunately, the man passed away at the medical facility. The police stated that they could not confirm the reason for his death as the autopsy results were yet to come.

Meanwhile, Gonzalez's brother Gerardo Gonzalez stated, "Everything we saw in that video was unnecessary and unprofessional. The footage shows officers on top of Mario while he was face down on the ground. They had their weight on his head and his back," according to NBC Bay Area

The victim's heartbroken mother said, "[They're] lying to me, they say my son, [he's] fighting with the officers. I say, 'No, come on! You guys made a mistake!'"


Commenting on the tragic case,  the City of Alameda claimed that an investigation is being carried out by the Alameda County Sheriff's Department and Alameda County District Attorney's Office. "The City is committed to full transparency and accountability in the tragic death of Mario Gonzalez. Our heartfelt condolences go out to his loved ones. This outside investigation will provide an independent analysis into what may have occurred the day Mr. Gonzalez tragically lost his life," said the city in a press release. 

The three officers involved in the arrest are placed on paid administrative leave.