From foot massages to sharing a wonderful marriage together, the couple have been so committed to each other and can't imagine life any other way now.
With or without the spotlight, on screen or off screen, Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson share the kind of relationship that most people dream of. In movies like Volunteers, they showed the world the beautiful chemistry between their characters. And the whole time, they couldn't help but feel the fireworks themselves.
The filming of the movie, Bosom Buddies, was what brought them together for the first time. During this time, Tom Hanks was married to Samantha Lewes, his college sweetheart. But there was no denying the strong connection that he felt with his costar. Eventually, when the timing was right, Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson found their way to each other and went on to marry each other and raise a family.
It was on April, 1988 that the two of them exchanged wedding vows and ever since then, there's been no turning back. From foot massages to traveling the world together, here's what they've said about each other and their relationship in the past that will show you what true love is made of.
1. "Sometimes we're just sitting on the couch talking or something like that... I don't even have to ask for them. He always gives me back and foot rubs. He's just cool." — Rita Wilson
2. "We have so much fun. Being on location is one of the greatest things. We've gone all over the world. We've taken our family. We've gotten to live in cities that you normally wouldn't get to live in and become a normal person and going to the market and finding your favorite coffee store and shop." — Rita Wilson
3. "Sometimes I look at that lady in the morning looking all tousled and warm from bed in her sweats and her hair all piled up on her head... smokin' hot," — Tom Hanks
4. “We laugh just as much now at two in the morning as we always have. And we fight less and less.” — Tom Hanks
5. “I’ll never forget, we were standing on the corner of 57th and 5th in New York, or 58th and 5th, we were holding hands, and we were waiting for the traffic light to change. And he looked at me and he said, ‘You know, I just want you to know, that you never have to change anything about who you are in order to be with me'." — Rita Wilson
6. “That woman has loved me skinny, she’s loved me fat. She’s loved me bald, she’s loved me hairy. That woman, I know, loves me. So, I’m a lucky man,” — Tom Hanks
7. "Not only do we love each other, we really like each other, and we like being together, and we support each other and we keep the communication channels open. That’s always important.” — Rita Wilson
8. Tom Hanks was by her side through her bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction for breast cancer. "You never know how your spouse is going to react in a situation like this. I was so amazed, so blown away by the care my husband gave me... who knew it would make you even closer?”— Rita Wilson
9. “All I can do is bow down before the courage of my wife,”— Tom Hanks
10. “When we first looked at each other there was definitely a kind of (pointing to camera), ‘Hey, this is the place!’ I felt that anyway.”— Tom Hanks
11. “My secret to a happy marriage is just being married to the right woman. I got lucky with the wonderful Rita Wilson. I’m the luckiest man alive,” — Tom Hanks
12. "The success of our relationship was a matter of timing, maturity, and our willingness to have an intimate connection. When I married Rita, I thought, 'This is going to require some change on my part'." — Tom Hanks
13. “We got married, we committed to each other, we love each other and we work hard at our relationship." — Rita Wilson
14. "Not that marriage doesn't come close to being hell in a handbasket sometimes. But we both know that no matter what, we'll be with each other—and we'll get through it." — Tom Hanks
15. "Everyone has hardship and loss. But commitment is the foundation. There is such value in the depth of your relationships, your friendships, your marriage, your children, all of that. To me, that's what makes you feel safe to go out and pursue the things that are more risky." — Rita Wilson
16. “I think the end result is that we got married for all the right reasons.”— Tom Hanks