Widow of Doctor Who Died After Alerting World About Pandemic Gives Birth | "Last Gift You Sent To Me Has Been Born"

Widow of Doctor Who Died After Alerting World About Pandemic Gives Birth | "Last Gift You Sent To Me Has Been Born"

The widow posted the news of the birth on a Chinese social media platform.

The global pandemic has claimed the lives of many across the globe. While many of us have the option to stay home and practice social distancing, front line workers are busy putting their lives at risk just to keep the world running and to save our lives.

In their attempt to battle the global crisis, many of them have bid farewell to the world leaving behind their families. One such person is Li Wenliang, a Chinese doctor from Wuhan, who passed away due to the deadly virus.


According to People, his widow, Fu Xuejie just welcomed their second child on 12 June 2020. The woman took to WeChat, the Chinese social media platform to announce the happy news. Fu Xuejie wrote, "Husband, are you watching from heaven? The last gift you sent to me has been born," Fu wrote, according to the outlet's translation of the post."I will definitely take care of him well."

Many WeChat users congratulated the woman and even passed on words of comfort. "We hope this child will carry on the spirit of Dr. Li," one commenter said, "and be a good man," according to NPR.

According to South China Morning Post, the mother of two delivered the baby boy in Wuhan, the initial epicenter of the pandemic. While the birth is good news, it is a painful yet happy moment of the woman, who lost her husband just four months ago.


Her husband, Li was the first one to signal the coming of the deadly virus. According to People, the 34-year-old ophthalmologist at Wuhan Central Hospital was the first one to warn the world about the threat of the virus even before it was announced by the Chinese government.

The concerned doctor informed his medical school alumni group of a virus that was causing mysterious respiratory illness in many patients in December. However, the man's warning was not taken seriously. His claims spread across social media platforms in China and the government took action against him for spreading "rumors."


After being detained by the police, he was released on 3 January 2020 that is two days after the arrest. He was let go only after he agreed to sign a document that stated he illegally made up "untrue statements" and would not commit any such "unlawful acts".

The doctor then returned to duty and patients continued to come with the mysterious illness. It was only after 7 January 2020 that the Chinese government decided to announce the news of the virus. However, by then the disease had already spread and the doctor became one of its victims. 

 Li started coughing by 10 January 2020. The following day, he was admitted to the hospital. But his positive diagnosis only came three weeks later on 1 February 2020. During his final days, Li was fighting for his life in the intensive care unit.

Despite his deteriorating health, he remained positive and posted on social media regarding his intentions to get back to work. โ€œIโ€™ve seen the support and encouragement so many people online have given me. It makes my feel a little more relaxed in my heart," said the doctor through  Weibo, the Chinese messaging app, according to People. 

He even added that his parents were hospitalized after developing fevers. The doctor also informed users that he stayed with his pregnant wife and their young child. But, Li did not mention if any of them were tested positive. Few days after the diagnosis came, Li passed away. His death was devastating to everyone. Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of the World Health Organization shared his condolences on knowing the news. He urged everyone to celebrate the works done by Li.

โ€œWe are deeply saddened by the passing of Dr. Li Wenliang. We all need to celebrate work that he did on #2019nCoV," wrote Ryan on Twitter.

Since then, the pandemic has spread across the world like wildfire, claiming many lives.