Woman Is Clinically Dead For 45 Minutes, Then Comes Back To Life Just Before Granddaughter Is Born

Woman Is Clinically Dead For 45 Minutes, Then Comes Back To Life Just Before Granddaughter Is Born

The woman suffered a heart attack and was in the same hospital where her daughter was giving birth.

Talk about not just one miracle... but two!  Kathy Patten was enjoying a game of golf when she was first told that her daughter Stacey Fifer was in labor, reports Cafe Mom. Later that day Patten headed to the Greater Baltimore Medical Center for the birth of her 8th grandchild. But things took a terrifying turn when Patten suffered a heart attack soon after entering the facility. Doctors noticed that the grandmother's pulse was falling quickly. While Fifer was in the midst of 39-hour labor, Patten was struggling to survive. 



The baby's birth was not easy either. Fifer's baby was stuck in the birth canal. To deliver the child safely doctors had to perform an emergency C-section. Medical professionals were working on both patients simultaneously. While preparing the mom to go to the operating room, other doctors were continuing to perform CPR on Patten. They worked tirelessly to revive the grandmother after she'd flatlined for 45 minutes. On the July 4th weekend, Patten was clinically dead for nearly an hour, according to WJZ-TV. Until doctors miraculously managed to bring her back to life. 



What's even more incredible is that her eighth grandchild — a baby girl named Alora — came into the world just moments after her grandmother was saved. "It was a second chance at life," Patten told WJZ-TV. "I'm just going to be the best person I can be in every way and I'm grateful for every minute I have." And for Stacey Fifer, she couldn't be grateful for the two astounding miracles that came up that day.  "It was just fate that my Mom was supposed to be here," she shared with the news outlet. "It was ultimately because of Alora that my Mom is here and happened to be at the right place at the right time. She truly is a walking miracle." Even the doctors at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center are in awe of this one-of-a-kind story and expressed gratitude to the family who has taught them so much. "You taught us what it means to live," Dr. Dov Frankel, who treated Patten, told the grandmother. "You taught us what it means not to give up."




As to what saved Patten's life, the center used innovative CPR training, according to WBAL-TV. Greater Baltimore Medical Center had earned the title of Resuscitation Quality Improvement Lighthouse Organization for their adoption and consistent use of an innovative CPR training program. "Back in the day when we were running codes, we didn't have that technology to assist our staff to say, 'You're not doing chest compressions deep enough,' and I know that's one of the reasons you're sitting here," said Dr. JoAnn Ioannou, executive vice president of hospital operations and chief nursing officer, told the grandmother.  "Nobody was going to stop. Nobody was going to relent from anything they were doing. We wanted you to survive more than anything else," said Dr. David Vitberg, director of medical and surgical ICU. Patten is nothing but grateful to the team who brought her back to life. "From the bottom of my heart, there are no words to express everything everyone has done here for me," Patten said.