Woman Dies Of Liver Cancer Just 24 Hours After Her "Dream Wedding" To Partner Of 10 Years

Woman Dies Of Liver Cancer Just 24 Hours After Her "Dream Wedding" To Partner Of 10 Years

Katrina Scott's husband, Jay Scott, finds solace in the fact that he's pictures of her smiling before she died.

Wedding ceremonies are a beautiful way to commemorate the new beginning of a lifelong journey with one's spouse. But for a mother of seven, this celebration was something that she could only cherish for the next 24 hours. Katrina Scott, who always dreamt of marrying her partner of 10 years, finally tied the knot on November 14, 2019. But the following day, she lost her life to liver cancer, according to Mirror UK. "She had always wanted to marry me but we never had the time or money to do it," shared her devastated husband Jay Scott, as per Derbyshire Live. The next thing they knew, the 32-year-old was diagnosed with liver cancer.

Recalling the crushing day that they discovered that she has the disease, the 48-year-old father said that he and his late wife had arrived at a hospital for a routine check-up in August 2019. But when the reports didn't come back on time, the couple began worrying. At the time, the whole family including their seven children Callum, 13, Levi, 9, Tyler, 11, twins Kaitlin-Rose and Poppy-Mae, 6 and Lillie-Rose, 7, and his daughter his previous marriage, Ayesha, 22, were holidaying in Torquay. But for some reason, he "knew in my mind there was something wrong."


In September, Katrina went in for a liver biopsy and the reports changed their lives. The Mickleover care worker was told that she had stage IV liver cancer, which had spread to the lungs and bile duct. This meant, her condition was terminal. Jay revealed that his wife had been suffering from a bad back for over three years but never realized that it "was the liver cancer the whole time." Now that the family knew, Katrina didn't have much time with her family, they decided to fulfill her dream of getting married. "My eldest daughter, Katrina's step-daughter Ayesha, set up a Just Giving page for our wedding," shared Jay.

"Our wedding was planned for November 25 but we had to move it because the doctors said she wouldn't make it," he added. On November 14, the couple exchanged their vows in the presence of their family and friends at the  Royal Derby Hospital, England, according to TW News. But "the day after we got married I had a funny feeling. I saw a rainbow from my house to the hospital and I thought, that's it. I went down to the hospital, to the Macmillan unit, and I knew it as soon as I looked into her eyes. It was so quick," shared the heartbroken groom. "She fought until that day and died 24 hours later. But I've got pictures of her smiling, that's the main thing."


"Going to school to pick the children up, knowing what I knew, was the hardest walk of my life. They had already said goodbye to their mum which was very important," he continued. Jay wanted to give his wife the best send-off and made sure everything was done according to her wishes. "She was in so much pain. I want her to have the best send-off," he said, noting Katrina wanted everyone to wear leopard print for her funeral." Jay, who is a builder and landscaper, became a single dad all of a sudden and life after Katrina's death didn't come easy. "It's devastating. We worked well together, she always made everybody laugh," he said.

"We worked very hard for everything we had as a family. She was very popular and had a big family. Being a dad is a job I'm proud of. It's going to be hard but people's kindness and thoughts make a bad day a little bit better. That's how I will get through it. I'm a proud man and I don't ask for help, but her friends are keeping me strong," he said. At the time, a GoFundMe page was also created to help the family with the funeral expenses. 

Image source: GoFundMe | Katrinas last goodbye

Cover image source: GoFundMe | Katrinas last goodbye